Robin said:

> my home network has:

I don't think I've actually said this on list, and probably should.  This
weekend I productively replaced my win2k box that was on the outside
(ouch!) with a box built out of spare parts running smoothwall[0]..

If I'd been running reasonable modern hardware the whole thing would have
installed straight out of the box[1].  Had a bit (a lot) of trouble with
the naff ISA NE2000 compatible network card (that is kinda plug and play
but not really...just enough to make things complicated) until the gareth
fiddled with the bios settings.  Worked no problems at all with the random
PCI network card I was using for the internal network.  Had replacing the
NE2000 with another PCI card been an option without having to phone up
blueyonder (who lock down your mac address) I would have done so.

The whole thing took no more than three minutes to install off of CD once
I'd got that flaky network card working and the questions were all
nobrainers (are you sure you want to continue?  Which network card is the
internal one?  Do you want to use a ISDN/USB ADSL line?)  Most of the
complicated stuff can be fiddled with with the web interface (all perl 5
wrapper scripts - yey!) after reboot.  Nice.

firewalls++[2]

Later.

Mark.

[0] http://www.smoothwall.org/
    http://www.ordior.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BySwFAQ.html

[1] well off the CD image I downloaded - 23MB if anyone's interested

[2] Of course firewalls don't help you in the end if you start exposing
services.  Which is kinda what you have to do with boxen like
london.pm.org if they're going to be useful...oh well.

--
s''  Mark Fowler                                     London.pm   Bath.pm
     http://www.twoshortplanks.com/              [EMAIL PROTECTED]