On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 06:29:05PM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get upgrade

If you use apt you deserve to lose. :-) dpkg and the dselect front end may
have one of the worst thought out user-interfaces in the history of all
time, and yes, I've even heard IWJ admit this, but it does do the right
thing. dpkg attempts, with some tricks and rules I don't properly understand
to never let your system get into a fucked state by requiring all sorts of
--force options in order to actually let you do anything that might screw
things up. APT maintains its own dependency list, which means that whenever
you use it, it makes sure to run dpkg with --force-this and --force-that,
(in IWJs words, this was --force-fuck-my-system-harder). This seems like
an extremely stupid case of reinventing the wheel to me.

> Many of the apps on london.pm.org were old-ish & didn't seem to be being
> upgraded all that often (there is benefit to not fixing something that

I agree however, that in most cases it does Just Work. It is mainly the
failure modes that are bad with apt. This doesn't excuse not upgrading
things that need upgrading.

> Debian++

Debian-- # all the bloody politics

MBM