On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 01:38:35PM +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote:
> book (thanks leon!, K&R, Computer Graphics (Foley et al). But what are
> the books that you guys really love?

Practice of Programming - Kernighan and Pike
Commentary on the Unix 6th edition, with source code - John Lions.
An Introduction to Algorithms - Cormen, Rivest and Leiserson

And obviously:
Programming Perl (3rd Ed) - Wall, Christiansen and Orwant.

> One of my favourite books of all time is actually from Microsoft (boo
> hiss), its Code Complete, a great book that talks about the dos and
> don'ts of programming. I also have a love of the Design and

It could have been a good book, but there was a particular example of why
you should use pseudocode and fill out the pseudocode with real code, and
there is an obvious flaw in the engineering of the way they've done it.
Unfortunately this is quite early on in the book, and so it lost it for
me. I also found those icons in the margin to be *ultra*-annoying.

> Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System (The Devil Book).

Is this good, I've heard about it from others before, it may well have to
migrate to my "to get" list.

> But I'm sure with the assembled masses there are some recommendations
> for books that the rest of us may not of taking the time to exam.

Damn you for doing this the night I said to myself that I'd probably have
to pop by Borders. :-)

> p.s. yes this is a deliberate attempt to start a thread that is not
> about quoting. piers described it as atonement ;-)

:-)

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           http://colondot.net/