Greg McCarroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What are the classic (non-perl) computers books? There are several
> that come to mind, The Art of Computer Programming (1->3), the Dragon
> book (thanks leon!, K&R, Computer Graphics (Foley et al). But what are
> the books that you guys really love?
>
> One of my favourite books of all time is actually from Microsoft (boo
> hiss), its Code Complete, a great book that talks about the dos and
> don'ts of programming. I also have a love of the Design and
> Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System (The Devil Book).
>
> But I'm sure with the assembled masses there are some recommendations
> for books that the rest of us may not of taking the time to exam.

One of my favourite books is Kernighan & Pike's "The Practice of
Programming".  Nice and small, but packed with good advice and
examples.

On a more directly practical note, I love W. Richard Stevens "Advanced
Unix Programming".  It's one that I keep coming back to.  However, it
is showing its age now and it's not going to be updated (RIP,
Mr. Stevens).  His networking books are also Very Good Indeed.

-Dom

--
| Semantico: creators of major online resources          |
|       URL: http://www.semantico.com/                   |