From: "Dave Cross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10/18/01 1:27:36 PM

>From: Matthew Byng-Maddick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 10/18/01 12:36:55 PM
>
> [rant snipped]
>
> I've said this before and I'll (no doubt) have to say it
> again in the future.
>
> The london.pm mailing list is meant to be inclusive.
> Everyone is welcome here. This means that we _do_ _not_
> flame people simply because they fail to use our
> favourite mail client or don't post strictly in line with
> the usual guidelines.
>
> Yes, we have (many) people on the list who have been on
> the internet for a long time and can quote RFCs at length
> to back up all of the netiquette rules, but it's a
> complete waste of time. Most people on the internet
> aren't like that these days. Most people happily post
> using MS Outlook because that's what they get given at
> work. Most people reply "jeopardy style" because that's
> what their mail client encourages them to do.
>
> If you shout at them, they'll just leave the list and
> complain how elitist we are. I don't want that to happen.
> If anyone thinks that's an acceptable outcome then
> perhaps they are on the wrong list.
>
> The battle against the invading barbarian hordes was lost
> years ago. Learn to live with it. Or annex your own part
> of the internet and impose your strict rules there.
>
> But don't do it on this list.
>
> There's nothing to see here. Move along now.

Sigh.

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I thought I was.

This discussion is uninteresting and unhelpful. But worse that
that, it has the potential to make us appear elitist and unwelcoming.
I will not allow that on this list.

Please consider the topic closed. Anyone continuing this discussion
will be immediately removed from the list. The people who continued
the discussion yesterday can consider themselves lucky that I'm
in a benevolent mood and haven't already unsubbed them.

That is all.

Dave...

--
<http://www.dave.org.uk>

"Let me see you make decisions, without your television"
   - Depeche Mode (Stripped)