From: Matthew Byng-Maddick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10/18/01 12:36:55 PM

[rant snipped]

I've said this before and I'll (no doubt) have to say it again
in the future.

The london.pm mailing list is meant to be inclusive. Everyone
is welcome here. This means that we _do_ _not_ flame people simply
because they fail to use our favourite mail client or don't post
strictly in line with the usual guidelines.

Yes, we have (many) people on the list who have been on the internet
for a long time and can quote RFCs at length to back up all of
the netiquette rules, but it's a complete waste of time. Most
people on the internet aren't like that these days. Most people
happily post using MS Outlook because that's what they get given
at work. Most people reply "jeopardy style" because that's what
their mail client encourages them to do.

If you shout at them, they'll just leave the list and complain
how elitist we are. I don't want that to happen. If anyone thinks
that's an acceptable outcome then perhaps they are on the wrong
list.

The battle against the invading barbarian hordes was lost years
ago. Learn to live with it. Or annex your own part of the internet
and impose your strict rules there.

But don't do it on this list.

There's nothing to see here. Move along now.

Dave...

--
<http://www.dave.org.uk>

"Let me see you make decisions, without your television"
   - Depeche Mode (Stripped)