On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Damian Conway wrote:

> I guess it's very tough to know whether the silence is indifference
> or ingratitude.

> Though in fact I still answer
> every single email message I receive. The problem is, it sometimes takes
> me weeks to get through the daily deluge to any particular piece of email.

The problem as I see it here is that it's very hard for someone like me -
a lowly module user - to know if emailing someone to thank them for their
module is a good or a bad thing.  To some people getting a mail saying
that you're using their module would be welcome, and they'd be grateful
for the feedback that someone is using and enjoying their code.  To
others, the people with a hundred emails arriving every hour or so, the
extra noise would be a great annoyance.

Tricky problem...

Maybe we should start a convention of having a separate address in the
AUTHOR section of module's pod for accounting only type response.  This
address would be where people can simply email to be counted and say if
they're happy with the code.  More importantly, the module author
shouldn't necessarily be expected to send a response to mails to this
address, and we hopefully will make them feel better (and give them a
better idea about what people liked) without sapping too much of their
time.  A slightly more human version of the automated mail software like
PINE or smoothwall send....

Me?  I'm going to be selecting some more modules for this year's Perl
Advent Calendar - the only problem is that there are only 24 days on an
advent calendar, and I've already got a shortlist with 40 or so modules on
it :-)

Later (and with thanks)

Mark.

--
s''  Mark Fowler                                     London.pm   Bath.pm
     http://www.twoshortplanks.com/              [EMAIL PROTECTED]