On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 09:55:11AM +0000, Simon Wilcox wrote:

> At one level I agree and look forward to the day when I can easily work in
> a language I feel most comfortable with. At another level it scares me to
> death.

Amen!

> In anything less than the largest software houses, a standard language
> will be chosen and used because it will reduce the maintenance costs.

<Bzzzt>
Working in a small s/ware house, I could choose the tool for the job ...
and we ended up shipping Perl with the COBOL app.  In larger organisations
that I've seen they're *more* likely to standardise because of arbitrary
rules handed down.

> There is nothing more likely to derail a project than coming across code
> that needs to be changed for which you don't have the available skills.

Seems to me, more likely in larger shops: is smaller places, people know
what's going on.

> Unless perl is accepted as a language of choice by *management* it will
> not be pre-eminent in this space. It will always find a place in the JFDI
> toolbag but it will not be the number one choice at a senior level.

Agreed,  but not specifically about your message,  I see a people wanting
'a Perl job' and not seeing 'a job where I can use Perl'.  In the end,
I'd prefer the later because I can play to Perl's strengths,  but not be
forced to use it when there are better alternatives (not that I can
think of any ATM).

--
Chris Benson