On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 09:20:30PM +0000, Chris Ball wrote:
>    http://www.google.com/programming-contest/
>
> I would be quite remarkably fired if I entered, I'm sure.  But it looks
> like lots of fun, and search is something that #perl people tend to talk
> about quite a bit.  Just thought I'd pass it on.

        With regard to an entry that you submit as part of the Contest,
        you agree that such entry shall become the sole property of
        Google, including but not limited to the intellectual property
        rights associated therewith, such as patents or copyrights. In
        this regard, you further agree to assist Google in securing its
        rights, including the execution of any applications, oaths,
        assignments, etc., as appropriate.

Ah yes, the classic old "why put expensive clever people on the payroll
when we can run a competition and for a measly $10K keep *all* the IP
for *all* the answers?"

(US$10K barely buys two weeks of contract work in Silicon Valley)

</cynic>,
Paul