Chris Devers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 5 Feb 2002, Mike Jarvis wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 17:08, Chris Devers wrote:
>> > real cynicism: pretzel shmetzel, the guy was drunk :)
>>
>> Not believing everything that comes out of the White House and the right
>> wing controlled media (ie, all of it) isn't cynicism, it's good sense.
>
> Check out last week's "Doonesbury" strips -- several good points about
> how, in the end, the media isn't really left-wing or right-wing, but
> rather just slaves to a juicy story -- which doesn't necessarily mean an
> important story, just one that makes headlines, sells advertising, etc.

Just finished reading Jon Ronson's 'Them'. Very highly recommended
indeed. He spends a large part of the book dealing with folks who go
on about the 'shadowy Bilderberg group that controls the world
government, full of high powered individuals, blah, blah'. Then he
gets an interview with one of the founders of the group. I won't spoil
it for you by telling you who he is, but just that one name completely
undercuts the conspiracy nuts beautifully.

--
Piers

   "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a language in
    possession of a rich syntax must be in need of a rewrite."
         -- Jane Austen?