On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 08:54, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've been sitting here watching random TV and watching with vauge facination
> a stenographer at work.  A stenographer transcribes word for word the
> proceedings of courts, meetings etc...
>
> Made me wonder - what is the fastest method of user input into a computer.

Do you mean into human readable, non translated english? Court reporters
don't actually transcribe full words.  Kinda like mechanical gregg
shorthand.  They input phonetic equivilents, not real words.  And it can
be a bitch for them to read somebody else's tapes. Possible, just a pain
in the ass, and much slower.

To actually produce english transcripts, the court reporter goes
somewhere quiet, reads the transcripts into a recorder, and sends the
audio tapes to a typist. So it turns out to be a *really* slow way to
make transcripts, but the most reliable way to caputure the info in real
time.

Actually, everything I just told you is wrong these days.  I'm fairly
sure technology has marched on and a lot of the retyping has been
computerized away.  But until fairly recently this was all acurate.

> We all know that the QWERTY keyboard was designed to slow us down

I could swear I read somewhere that this was a UL, but I can't find a
reference.

--
mike
Asked why the right wing despises him so, the former president answered