> 'Professor Aleksander said the ethical problem of "killing" a conscious
> computer by switching it off would not arise. The machine would not feel
> threatened by such action.
>
> Ignoring the troll, that is a problem, doncha think?

well, ignoring the semantics of a field i know very little about yet, i
think a viable ai would want to live *in* the network, gibson-stylee,
instancing itself in a freenet sort of a way. and i dont think we need to
be anthropomorphic about the idea of consciousness.

the zompist.com chap wrote a cheesy sci-fi story about on your theme
though, http://www.zompist.com/robot.htm where a network is swamped with
forking ai processes of an indeterminate legal status...