On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Dave Cross wrote:

> My mother was asking me the other day about the best way for them to get
> connected to the Internet. I assume it'll be via one of the unmetered deals
> - Freeserve, BT, maybe even AOL or Compuserve.
>
> Does anyone have any information that would help me choose the best service
> (as opposed to just the cheapest) for them?

Assuming that cable modem tends to suffer in the same way as free ISPs,
and that they're not wanting to pay for ADSL from a non-cheapo provider,
I'd stick with demon dialup (currently I'm sort-of considering demons
wires-only adsl, though)  Solid and reliable, not perfect, but noone ever
was, prices depend on how much time they want to spend online.  From
12ukp/month and normal bt minutes prices, with static IP and no kick-offs,
then you can F+F/FF it or surftime it through BT for cheap/free calls, or
pay extra to demon for cheaper/free calls, up to 40ukp/month for 24/7 free
access (20 to demon and 20 to bt)

the hatter