On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 08:10:36AM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> Out of interest, has anyone ever got a position through an
> Internet job site?
>
> Putting aside the two lone jobs through registering with an agency years
> ago, I'm still at the 100% mark for jobs acquired through personal
> contacts or clients recommending me.

Yes, in that the job adverts on gojobsite (IIRC) were all placed by
agents, and then another pimp in the same firms also found me an
interview, and as a result I found a permanent job.
(probably for the usual definition of permanent)

Plus points:

it does know where my bank account is
it has provided me with a Unix desktop machine

Minus points include

That machine is Redhat.

I've not yet found an online advert that was not put there by a pimp.
This annoys me. I fail to see why the online sites can't make a killing by
cutting out the pimps, and putting punters directly in touch with HR
departments. Or is the problem that this would fill HR departments inboxes
with bulkmail CVs?

Nicholas Clark