On Wed, 22 May 2002 17:57:25 +0200, Newton, Philip wrote:
> So, I get the impression that "discerning hackers use Debian", not only on
> this list but from yapcs and so.
>
> Why is that?

I started using Debian because it was the only distribution I could find at
the time which supported m68k platforms. I'm now running Debian unstable on
x86 and sparc, and keeping things up to date is simple, even if you use
dselect. My limited experience of installing and upgrading packages on
RedHat has involved trying to find suitable RPMs, then manually installing
them. I'm sure RH has a nice automatic way of doing this, but Debian does it
out of the box, and handles the dependencies, too.

My m68k box is now sitting neglected on my desk at home with a tiny disk, no
networking, and comparitively ancient Debian installation. I haven't
switched it on for a year.

--
        Peter Haworth   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"If you're running a mail server, you should have enough technical knowledge