> > Having a staging environment with a daily dump of live data and software
> > would be nice. you can mess with the data as much as you want.
>
> Sure, but at some point I have to make the code go live.  And when I do
> that I want to run the modules tests on the live server (who knowns what
> subtle differences may have snuck in) before I turn it live live.
>
> You get the idea.

Yeah, I know... there's a big gap between theory and practice here.

However, it can be done: we have been using a staging environment mirroring
the live environment for more than 1 year. We test changes on staging and do
a blanket copy of staging to live. Live is updated exclusively that way.
>From time to time, we do also a blanket copy from live to staging, just to
ensure they are in sync.
That involves a rigid system administration which can be annoying sometimes,
but it also provides peace of mind, which is priceless.

Pierre