On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 11:10:37AM +0100, Mark Fowler wrote:
> Sure, but at some point I have to make the code go live.  And when I do
> that I want to run the modules tests on the live server (who knowns what
> subtle differences may have snuck in) before I turn it live live.

Presumably you have scripts to generate the databases from scratch.
So use them, run the tests, drop the database and rebuild.

Unless you think building databases is non-deterministic... :-)

An alternative way is to "delete from table_name" (if you're too lazy to
drop and rebuild) which will reset the auto_increment. This seems to be
a special case -- deleting individual records does *not* exhibit the
"next maximum" i.e. under normal circumstances the will keep
monotonically increasing.

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is the name of the two dots that go above letters in German? Two
 people and a ham."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/