    >> This sets off alarm bells along the lines of "MSSQL does this
    >> right...All the other (and generally faster, etc..BETTER) RDBMSs
    >> can't implement this properly...

Um, there are very few engines faster than MSSQL - Sybase and Oracle,
I'd imagine - and they're both far more expensive.  I think it's widely
accepted that MSSQL represents the best performance/price tradeoff of
any database engine.

    Nic> I spent years as an mssql server programmer. It's the only half
    Nic> way decent product they have.

That's because they didn't write it themselves.  ;-)

- Chris, who has been forced to use Perl to play with Sybase and MSSQL
  today, and hasn't wanted to kill people.  Yet.
--
$a="printf.net";  Chris Ball | chris@void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
 "Blessings to the chap who invented ice cream, ginger-pop and the rest!