Had an interesting conversation tonight night.

I've been working on this http://thegestalt.org/simon/remove this bit
between these two slashes/gestalt/

[ which is *strictly* alpha code and I'd prefer it if you didn't add
yourself to the system just now until I've finished with the final
design ]

The basic idea is to try and map the topology of the London
nu-media-and-related-industries community.

Anyway, one of the (non enforced) rules is that you don't link from
yourself to another person unless you play the 'bodily fluid' get out
rule - if you're blood relatives or seeing somebody. Instead you link
through other entities such as houses, workplaces, universities and
online cabals (such as, err, this mailing list). The reasoning behind
this is that I thought that it would be more scaleable - if I had a link
to all my friends and all my friends had a link to all my other friends
then it could get very messy, very quickly.

However a friend of mine argued that having everyone you knew listed
explicitly would be better since you met everybody you know from a
situation and so its only going to create extra links by linking through
the situation as a third party.

Does that make sense (in a purely semantic sense)?

Anyway, I can kind of see my friend's point - enough to be worried
enough to ask youse lot (partly because there are other advantages to be
had from having every entity link to every other entity explicitly) so,
ye great oracle of Pm De That Nodnol, what say you. Which is a better
system.

Simon