> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 09:54:04PM -0600, Nigel Hamilton wrote:
> > This is also one of the few advantages of contracting ... you can
> > negotiate to retain your IP ... and over time your professional library
> > will grow (in theory)... which gives you more to offer future clients.
>
> I've been in pretty much only permanent jobs, and I have an increasingly
> good technical library at home. If you're contracting you can often end
> up with a situation where you're working for hire, and so you're in no
> position to try and negotiate the IP.

Most employers have no problem with IP negotiations ... it may take them
by surprise at first ... because not many IT professionals do it ... but
if you show them you value your work - then it helps them to appreciate
your work as well. Ironically it may strengthen rather than weaken your
negotiating position.

Your work is something you can sell ... at a price set by you.

> I haven't ever had problems with
> IP of things I've done outside work time, either, though I can imagine
> that some permanent companies like to 0wn j00, that's a reason for not
> working for those companies, but not for the difference between permanent/
> contractor work.

I don't agree .... the problem with permanent employment status is there
is an implicit assignment of copyright to your employer - it is not so
clear cut when contracting - and here is where artistic freedom lies!

NIge

--
Nigel Hamilton
Turbo10 Metasearch Engine