On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:32:10PM +0000, Natalie S. Ford wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 12:20:28AM +0000, Alex McLintock wrote:
> > I can handle the sort of email where it says "Someone has sent you an
> > electronic card, you can view it at this URL....."
> > but what if I want to include the whole graphic in html email. Is there a
> > standard CPAN module for that? (I can send attachments - but am not sure I
> > understand how images are used in html email).
>
> HTML mail is bad and wrong, from what I remember of email standards.  I know
> some MUA's can read and send HTML mail, but many cannot (mine for example)

It's a perfectly valid standard, and in practice virtually every mail
client can read it now. Yours can too in fact with a little fiddling.

The issue of who *wants* to read HTML is a different matter, of course :-)

Here's some real world info on this collected by ClickZ - eye-opening
article, http://www.clickz.com/em_mkt/infra/article.php/1428551

The "some people can't read it" argument is dead now. Besides, with
multipart/alternative you can provide a text version as well.

Whatever you do, I think the newsletter should be opt-in & offer a
choice, HTML, plain text or both.

I don't really buy the dial-up argument. It's possibly to make decent
images with a low foot print and good HTML isn't substantially bigger
than text anyway, with stylesheets. Anyone on dial-up is unlikely to be
sitting there staring at te download bar, they'll be doing soething
else so download time isn't a big waste of their day. To pre-empt the
"well people use crappy bloaty HTML editors" - that's a specious
argument; people can write crappy copy, not line-wrap it properly, etc,
etc as well.

Text only is great for conversations. HTML mail serves a purpose for its
particular applications: produce pleasant looking output with colors and
images, which aids comprehension and can highlight more important data
quickly. I don't need to point this out, psychologists have known this
for years. It's how humans work. Just because email started out as text
doesn't mean it has to stay shackled to that medium for eternity.
Choices are good.

Paul, stirring again :)

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"If the bed bugs bite, then why does one fall down, but throw-up."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/