I've confirmed that theoriginal snippet works on OS X (10.2.2)
(minus transcription error in gmttime)

- Mark

On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 12:35  pm, Tamsin wrote:

that's odd. I developed and tested this on OSX, i think..
maybe it was the FreeBSD box.
Are you running Jaguar? or 10.2? I have 10.2, but it is always possible that somewhere
along the line I've broken the Macs time zones by tinkering with things I don't understand.

Elegant it ain't.. In fact, there is a much nicer way via
C and the localtime libc function (at least in FreeBSD) where
localtime returns a tm struct with the final member
'gmtoff', GMT offset in seconds, but for some reason perl refuses to expose this
in localtime or POSIX::localtime. Probably due to cross platform
variation.
The changing of the environment variable only affects what happens in that script not the whole of the machine? I have visions of confusing the server for ever more...

To be honest I'm doing this in Perl because I can't see a way of doing it in PHP, so we now have a kludge sitting on a kludge...
But hey it works.

T,

--
The future's bright, the future's orange!

http://www.tamsin.com