Tamsin wrote:

> Ever got the feeling you've opened a can of worms...

At one point we thought it would be a good idea to teach dipsy, the
infobot on #london.pm, to tell the time in various places.  This is useful
when you've got friends at conferences and you want to know what time
they'll be awake, or you've working with someone in another time zone and
you want to know what time they'll probably be at their desk.

Lots of people suggested lots of ways of doing it, and I ignored them all.
Time and date stuff is hard.  This is why whenever dipsy needs to know the
time it makes no attempt to work it out itself - it scrapes the results
from http://www.timeanddate.com.  This also means it's someone else's
problem when the aussies decide to change their clocks randomly when
they're hosting the Olympics.

The source is here:

  http://2shortplanks.com/temp/time2.txt

And you can have a go at getting the time in a city by doing this:

  http://2shortplanks.com/temp/time2.cgi?w=New+York

Note that it'll output it in a bastardised form of an RSS feed - since
infobots have viewers built in for those.

Mark.

--
  Mark Fowler
  http://www.twoshortplanks.com/          The 2002 Perl Advent Calendar