On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 16:50, Roger Horne wrote:
> On Tue 11 Feb, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
>
> > > Hrm, perl doesn't use UTF-8 for it's internal representation of strings ?
> >
> > I may be misremembering things somewhat. The cloudy things I remember
> > are that the version of perl shipped with RH8 uses a slightly geb0rken
> > 16 bit implementation (who is the guy who is developing it? ISTR he's
> > thrown out or totally changed how it works) the cripples performance. If
> > you unset LANG perl goes a lot quicker.
>
> I must try that. I am an amateur and I use an overly complicated and badly
> written script to process legal material, turning it from basic HTML and
> text into fully marked-up HTML. I used to run it on an Acorn RPC using
> Nicholas Clark's port of Perl but it started taking longer and longer to run
> (because there was much more material). Eventually it used to take 5 hours.
>
> So I bought a fastish machine from Digital Networks last year and the time
> was reduced to 5 minutes on RH 7.2.
>
> I then tried it on a reasonably fast netbook on which I had put RH8. After
> 15 hours I gave up on it ... Possibly not enough memory (although more than
> the Acorn) and the machine is going back to DN to correct another problem,
> but it did seem excessive. (My main machine is still running RH 7.2 as a
> result.)

Methinks there is much smelly fish in Perl 5.8.0 UTF implementation and
also in RH8.0's internationalisation stuff / port of perl. A standard
'cure' seems to be to rename /etc/sysconfig/i18n to something else (eg
i18n.orig) and then restart the machine.

Suddenly things like man pages start to come out in something
approaching english (ie without a load accented a's instead of <tab> and
stuff) and your perl goes a lot faster.

Quite what you do if your language isn't accommodated by that - I just
don't know.

Please don't be tempted to use the -d switch with 5.8.0 because
otherwise it will also run about 18 times slower... (sorry to harp on
about it chaps but this is sooooo fundemental I am surprised it took me
to pick it up several months after release).

Dirk
--
Please Note: Some Quantum Physics Theories Suggest That When the
Consumer Is Not Directly Observing This Product, It May Cease to