On Tuesday 11 February 2003 17:54, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> > > I may be misremembering things somewhat. The cloudy things I remember
> > > are that the version of perl shipped with RH8 uses a slightly geb0rken
> > > 16 bit implementation (who is the guy who is developing it? ISTR he's
> > > thrown out or totally changed how it works) the cripples performance.
> > > If you unset LANG perl goes a lot quicker.

[snipetty snip]

> Methinks there is much smelly fish in Perl 5.8.0 UTF implementation and
> also in RH8.0's internationalisation stuff / port of perl. A standard
> 'cure' seems to be to rename /etc/sysconfig/i18n to something else (eg
> i18n.orig) and then restart the machine.
>
> Suddenly things like man pages start to come out in something
> approaching english (ie without a load accented a's instead of <tab> and
> stuff) and your perl goes a lot faster.

The most mentioned work around on the KDE lists (where this problem screws up
the build process) is to 'export LANG=C' before running things. The problem
is due to LANG defaulting to en_US.UTF or some such thing in RH8. This can be
changed permanently by altering /etc/sysconfig/i18n as Dirk mentioned.

Cheers,
Sean

/me waves to the crowd as a newbie in this here town!
--
Sean McGlynn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Where's hindsight when you need it?