On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 09:21:06AM +0000, Chris Benson wrote:
> I had a dem yesterday of the NetApps Filer. The presenter took a
> snapshot of the 500GB user filestore (takes ~5sec), ... then deleted his
> 2GB home dir: email, presentations, software, the whole lot.
>
> Smiling all the while.
>
> Of course it took another 5 sec or so to recover it from the
> ~snapshots/test01 virtual directory representing the snapshot, but it's
> a hell of a party-piece.

That's a nice demo, but that's not what snapshots are good for, of course.
What they are good for is making your backup entirely self-consistent.
(which is a real problem with backing stuff up). So, process is:
+ take a snapshot of the filesystem
+ backup snapshot
+ clear snapshot (so you're not using large amounts of disk for it)

I'm sure that at one point, the NetApps could take automagic snapshots
for pre-defined time-periods away from where you were in time. This meant
that each directory node had a directory node called ".snapshots" which
had a time in them. That was impressive too.

--
Lusercop.net - LARTing Lusers everywhere since 2002