On 13 Mar 2003, alex wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 15:43, Shevek wrote:

> > My opinion on programming (this week) is that the modern generation of
> > programmer has never used any system where commands are executed as you
> > type them, and thus they have no concept of a sequence of instructions,
> > and therefore they cannot program.
>
> Understanding a program as a sequence of instructions does seem like a
> rather old fashioned way of thinking.
>
> But then I thought Perl was post-modern?

Retro is the new post-modern.  See the hordes of users (and possible
future programmers) revelling in the pointy-clicky web world, little do
they realise that the whizziest features they have are often the result of
just a few fairly trivial lines in some archaic-looking text-in-an-xterm.

the hatter