On Friday 04 April 2003 11:30, Jasper McCrea wrote:
> Simon Wilcox wrote:

I always find this sort of thing rather amusing ...

I've worked at more than one place that has had similar policies ... none of
them are worth the electrons they are written with.

1) someone signs up ... as A. N. Other .. there's no way of knowing if they
really are A. N. Other or not.  Even if they are who they say they are,
there's no way of knowing if they are going to steal all the underpants.

2) Assuming you tighten it further to checking with whoever is organising it
that they recognise the names on the list, that fails still because for a
meeting like this, its quite possible a newcomers name would not be
recognised, and would be let in anyway.

3) even if you do recognise the name, how do you know its not someone with a
longstanding grudge whose signed up just to get into the building and steal
your underpants?

all it saves you from is random people walking in off the street, and there
are simpler ways to do that ... still, the places I;ve seen it done before,
it kept the office manager busy filling out little badges, and while they
where doing that, they weren't fiddling with somehting else, so I guess some
good came out of it.

Perhaps someone should register as A. Pants-Stealer and see if a badge is
made up for them ;) (and no, I won't )

Still, good of Yahoo! to provide the facility, don't look a gift horse in the
mouth I say.

--
Robin Szemeti