On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 02:38:07AM -0700, Dave Cross wrote:
> 1/ How much chance is there that a Samba installation will cause
> problems? How stable is Samba?

It's possible - if you don't know how to set it up. You can destroy
whole (network) neighborhoods with it ;) PDC wars, constant master
re-elections, all kinds of havoc are possible.

You would have to be an a-class muppet though. Samba has been around ages,
is actively developed by a number of companies to provide the backbone
of various NAS products, and even the forthcoming 3.0 (still in alpha,
IIRC) is sufficiently stable that people are using it in production.

> 2/ Is there anyone that will provide a commercial support contract
> for Samba?

Couldn't name companies ottomh, but they are definitely out there.

> 3/ Are there any other solutions we can look at - like, perhaps,
> an NFS client for Windows?

Unix Services for Windows, but it's supposed to be a bit sucky. Samba is
really the solution here though.

Cheers,

Alex.