Dave Cross wrote:
> So, a few questions:
>
> 1/ How much chance is there that a Samba installation will cause
> problems? How stable is Samba?

Samba is quite stable, but well, it has the same problems than NetBIOS :
it's bandwidth consuming (designed for LANs). And if the machines are
open on the Outside, you must be very careful about security, access
control and software updates.

> 2/ Is there anyone that will provide a commercial support contract
> for Samba?
>
> 3/ Are there any other solutions we can look at - like, perhaps,
> an NFS client for Windows?

There are NFS clients for Windows. Alternatives :
WebDAV ? IIRC Windows' file explorer supports it natively.
rsync ? (over ssh ?) (hey, that's another fine piece of software A.
Tridgell is reponsible for)

It's difficult to give a advice without knowing the use case.