On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Jason Clifford wrote:

> I can only assume that the data includes personal identifying data
> such as email addresses if it can be used in such a manner.

No. The original data source contains these identifiers. I am bundling data that has
been stripped of all identifers, but it is still derived from the data that has been
released under the restrictive license.

> Why not simply remove the data altogether and release the application with
> notes on how to build the required data.

Ah. I probably need to explain a bit more. Here is the link to the module in question
(note the licenses at the bottom):
http://search.cpan.org/author/NWETTERS/IP-Country-2.14/lib/IP/Authority.pm

The module's purpose is to identify the regional Internet registry where an IP address
was registered. The only people who need this are writing an interface to the whois
system. My module allows them to reduce the amount of calls they make to the whois
servers.

I cannot imagine how the remaining data could be used for spamming, but the license
still is incompatible with debian.

There are instructions within the CPAN distribution about how to build the database
that is used by the module, but it involves a 300MB download and a 1-hour parse of the
data (taking 600MB of RAM). The usefulness of my module is that this work has already
been done.

I could dispense with the database if I created a second (non-distributed) program
that used the database to build the distributed program. Does the distributed program
still need to carry the liceses for the original data??

--nwetters