On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:18:50PM +0100, Nigel Wetters wrote:
> I could dispense with the database if I created a second (non-distributed)
> program that used the database to build the distributed program. Does the
> distributed program still need to carry the liceses for the original data??

I don't understand what you're suggesting here - are you saying that by
writing a second program which produces the first, you somehow get around
the copyright of the data? Unlikely.

'Specially in the UK, we have the concept of the copyright of a database.

I would take a look at the Unicode and GNU miscutils discussion I pointed
you at; it sounds like that might be a solution, but you probably need to
check with an actual lawyer. debian-legal is again the place to raise
this.

Cheers,

Alex.