>> Sam Vilain wrote:
>>
>> /me considers getting all his amalgam fillings changed to composite...
>
>Paul Makepeace wrote:
>
> The danger is vaporizing the mercury as the drill goes in - which makes
> it several orders of magnitude easier to penetrate gum cell walls. You
> can end up getting dosed more in those few minutes than what would
> naturally seep out via saliva & tooth over its remaining life.

Absolutely.

There is a prescribed protocol for removing mercury amalgam fillings, which
includes the use of a rubber dam, high speed suction, external air source,
etc.  Doses of charcoal and organic seaweed immediately before extraction
helps with binding and excretion of whatever gets past the other
precautions.  My s.o. also took 10 grams of intravenous vitamin C during
the procedure.  Subsequest detox has been largely 'natural'; vitamin C,
seagreens seaweed, selenium, and coriander.  There's also a sulfur/zinc
cleansing cycle but she's allergic to sulfur.

The mercury in the fillings is not so much seeping out into your mouth as
it is vapourising.  The rate of vapourisation increases when chewing, as
you'd expect.  It also is higher in people who have a mixture of metal
fillings, such as both mercury and gold.  I imagine that there is some
battery-type effect going on.

Speaking of battery effects, Huggins reports that his patients don't seem
to recover unless the fillings are removed in a certain order, and that
order is determined by the voltage across each filling.  There are other
time-based ordering issues that he can't always explain but finds to be
true (because patients don't recover when these rules are violated).

> Jason Clifford wrote:
>
> Everything I've seen on that issue indicates that it's a danger only
> for those who have an allergic reaction to the mercury traces.

The official figures are something like 2-3% of the UK population being
allergic to mercury.  I suspect that this is on the low side, given how
common are symptoms that may well be mercury-related.  Migranes,
depression, mood swings, joint pain that is assumed to be arthritis or
similar without the associated structures being discovered, etc.

> Jason Clifford wrote:
>
> It's not possible to composite for all filings either which is a problem
> for those of us who have needed root canal filing work.

To my knowledge, there is no filling that requires mercury amalgam,
although I have heard that many dentists say that they do.  I think that
these statements stem from a lack of ability on the part of the dentist,
or a lack of commitment to mercury-free alternatives.  My s.o. has both
root-filled teeth and crowns, none of which are now mercury based.  Root
fillings are particularly nasty because not even the mercury-free dentists
agree on what substances are safe to use.

Anything I report is doubtless slightly twisted.  It's my s.o. that is the
local expert, having read everything she could get her hands on about her
illnesses.  I've read little about it myself, but hear about every new
discovery she makes.  Our only regret is that we didn't know about and/or
believe in the problems with mercury fillings five years ago.

I have reached the point that if I had any persistent complaint or serious
illness I would have my fillings changed by someone who knows what they're
doing.  In fact, I had mine out last fall just for laughs.  Since then I'm
rarely struck with a flu/cold, rarely have a headache, and have more energy
that I used to.  Colds were a monthly occurrence for me from the time that
we moved to London, now I have trouble remembering when the last one was.
(Obviously my brain still needs work!)

best regards,
Philip

P.S. This is a day or so delayed and doubtless not threaded properly
because I've changed subscription addresses and mail clients to
accommodate the recent multi-part problem.