On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 10:51:33AM +0700, tony...@tony.li wrote:

> Per the WG meeting, discussing on the list:
>
> This is good work and I support it.

Ditto.

> I would remind folks that TCP is NOT the only transport protocol available
> and that perhaps we should be considering QUIC while we’re at it.  In
> particular, flooding is a (relatively) low bandwidth operation in the
> modern network and we could avoid slow-start issues by using QUIC.

I'm ambivalent of the transport, but agree that TCP shouldn't be the default
answer.

My concerns that I tried raising via jabber summarize roughly as follows:
- TCP is prone to interesting backpressure issues, typically as a result of
  packet loss or slow receivers.
- TCP timers can react poorly in some environments where you may want time
  sensitive things.  This includes something as long as 3 second BGP hold
  timers.
- IGPs have a lot of interesting timer hacks to try to ensure that a given
  domain has a consistent database prior to running an SPF.  In the face of
  "stuck" flooding due to backpressure or other things, some of these may need
  to be revisited.

It's been over a year since I looked at QUIC.  I agree with Tony that a
number of the properties it had on my last read are desirable.  I'd suggest
that its behavior (especially timers) in the event of packet loss should be
given a look at based on the comments above.

- Jeff