Huaimo Chen wrote on 2020-07-14 06:09:

 2). IS-IS TTZ abstracts a zone to a single node. A zone is any target
block or piece of an IS-IS area, which is to be abstracted. This seems
more flexible and convenient to users.

I don't agree that this convenience is really beneficial.
I actually think this convenience is a downside.

Link-state protocols are not easy to understand. And we already
have the misfortune that IS-IS and OSPF use different names for things.
Adding the new concept of a "zone", while we already have the
concept of an area makes things only more complex.

How often will this new flexibility be used in the real world ?
I still haven't seen an answer to Christian Hopp's simple question:
"Has RFC8099 been deployed by anyone ?"
Anyone who has an answer ?

My favorite rule of RFC1925 is rule 12:

Adding a new concept, with very little benefit, hurts the protocol
in the long run. The ability to abstract an area, and not also a zone,
is strong enough to be worthwhile, imho.

henk.