Speaking as WG member…

See inline.

From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Uma Chunduri <umac.i...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 12:52 PM
To: Henk Smit <henk.i...@xs4all.nl>
Cc: "lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>, Huaimo Chen <huaimo.c...@futurewei.com>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Request WG adoption of TTZ

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 5:22 AM Henk Smit
<henk.i...@xs4all.nl<mailto:henk.i...@xs4all.nl>> wrote:
Huaimo Chen wrote on 2020-07-14 06:09:

>  2). IS-IS TTZ abstracts a zone to a single node. A zone is any target
> block or piece of an IS-IS area, which is to be abstracted. This seems
> more flexible and convenient to users.

I don't agree that this convenience is really beneficial.
I actually think this convenience is a downside.

I actually think not  having more configuration across the network to enable a
new feature is more useful even if
you don't do this operation every single day (especially if you want to roll
back).

Link-state protocols are not easy to understand. And we already
have the misfortune that IS-IS and OSPF use different names for things.
Adding the new concept of a "zone", while we already have the
concept of an area makes things only more complex.

Agree in general.

I would say this is no more complex than what has been adopted already or the
slew of proposals we have been seeing here.

I too think as some other said we should have ideally adopted only one proposal
by merging whatever possible.
As  that is not the case and 2 parallel proposals have already been accepted as
WG experimental track, and given the interest/support on this particular topic
I would think it's reasonable to continue this experiment in IS-IS too as is
done in OSPF.

I think that the two proposals that have already been adopted as experimental
are VERY different in the way they solve the problem of better LSDB scalability
across an IS-IS routing domain. Conversely, now that the IS-IS TTZ has adopted
the Area Proxy mechanisms of having an Area/Zone leader generate a single LSP
representing the Area/Zone, the two proposals are very similar. I agree with
Henk, Les, and John that the purported advantages of TTZ are not required.
These advantages being arbitrary abstraction boundaries and a description of
the transition mechanisms.

Uma C.