From: Tony Li [mailto:tony1ath...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of tony...@tony.li
Sent: Wednesday, September 2, 2020 12:07 PM
To: Gengxuesong (Geng Xuesong) <gengxues...@huawei.com>
Cc: Huaimo Chen <huaimo.c...@futurewei.com>; Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
<ginsberg=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>; Les Ginsberg <ginsb...@cisco.com>; Acee
Lindem (acee) <acee=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>; lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] LSR WG Adoption Poll for "IS-IS Topology-Transparent Zone" -
draft-chen-isis-ttz-11.txt

Hi Xuesong,

Apologies first if I have missed any history of this discussion. But I’m not
sure that we have to evaluate whether a method is “optimal” before WG adoption.
Why not adopt some alternative solutions and leave the choice to
industry/market?

First off, this is engineering, not theoretical math.  Optimal is not the
issue. Heck, optimal isn’t even a goal.

What we are looking for is value and value that outweighs the complexity.

Leaving the choice to the market is a bad idea. The market does NOT make sound
technical decisions. It makes pseudo-random decisions not based on technical
merits. The canonical example here is VHS vs Betamax. Better technology lost.

Second, the market is unduly influenced by marketing. The size of your
marketing department exceeds the size of my entire (not tiny) company. And it’s
still second to that of Cisco.

Marketing does not make good technical and architectural decisions. That’s our
job.

Tony