Hi, Robert:

Does the following responses satisfy your concerns If I understand your
questions correctly?

From: lsr-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:lsr-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Robert
Raszuk
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 4:04 AM
To: Jeff Tantsura <jefftant.i...@gmail.com>
Cc: lsr <lsr@ietf.org>; Aijun Wang <wangai...@tsinghua.org.cn>; Acee Lindem
(acee) <acee=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Prefix Unreachable Announcement Use Cases

Jeff,

I was not bringing RIFT's negative routies example as something inherently
negative. I was just pointing it out to illustrate that today's data plane
lookup does not really support "if does not match" checks.

[WAJ] In data plane, the device do still the “match” check, not “does not
match” check.  When the router receives the PUA information, it will install
one black hole route for a short time.

So if you intend to use unreachable prefixes in data plane as result you need
to break summary into as atomic prefixes as your unreachable advertisement
mask.

[WAJ] When the number of unreachable prefixes is limited(this is the common
situation),  Summary Route+PUA is the most efficient solution.

Hence my recommendation to use IGP to flood unreachable only for the purpose of
control plane (namely BGP paths invalidation).

[WAJ]  PUA and “Smart Disaggregation” in RIFT aim to the same problems, but
there are some differences:

1.     In RIFT, the parallel node will advertise the detailed prefix when it
detects that another node on the same level can’t reach the mentioned prefix.
But for PUA, the decision/advertisement is made by the ABR node itself that
knows the failure of links/nodes.

2.     The advertisement information is different. In RIFT, the detail prefix
information is advertised(by another node that can reach the failure prefix);
in PUA, the detail unreachable prefix information is advertised instead(by the
node that can’t reach the failure prefix).

 After knowing this information, the receiver node can switch the path to send
the traffic, or trigger the BGP control plane switchover as you said.

Cheers,

R.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 8:29 PM Jeff Tantsura <jefftant.i...@gmail.com