Chris/Tony -

We have received requests from real customers who both need to summarize AND
would like better response time to loss of reachability to individual nodes.
If they could operate at the necessary scale without summarizing they would
have already - so telling customers to simply make sure they don't use
summaries isn't helpful.

There are then two ways to respond:

1)Sorry, when you use summaries you lose the ability to receive state
information about individual prefixes covered by the summary. There is nothing
we can do to help you.

This seems to be what the two of you are saying.

2)We can provide a way to improve response time for the loss of reachability to
individual destinations covered by a summary, but its use will be limited to
isolated failures. Failures which affect a significant number of destinations
at the same time will realize no benefit from the solution. If this limitation
is acceptable then we have proposals that we think will be useful.

That's what we are trying to do.

   Les