>  we are trying to get an order of magnitude improvement from normal BGP
> session timers

Please observe that "normal BGP session timers" play no role in this if we
are serious about the objective.

Just like ABR get's the information about PE down events so can the local
area BGP Route Reflector(s). I can argue that BGP withdrawal of subject
next hop can be triggered from such RR much faster then all ABRs in said
area will get and process local IGP flooding from all peers.

Then you need to compare the speed of flooding via 10s of IGP nodes vs at
most two RR hops to get to ingress PEs with the precious information.

I think the conclusion is obvious. Along the same lines OAM can do the job.
The problem with that however is the need for a new transport to propagate
that information around.

Best,
R.