Hi Tony,

 > If we want to introduce MP-TLVs, that change would warrant the existence of
 > the flag.

 Multipart TLVs already exist today.
As discussed here, after introducing a "software capability TLV", if a router
doesn't
 advertise any of those new capabilities, we still don't know whether that
router supports
 multipart TLVs or not.
 So the new capability seems to have limited value.

 > I dispute that a binary flag warrants the word 'complexity'.

 You might think of a single bit now.
But people might want to add more. What TLVs on a router can and can not be
received
 multipart? What about sub-TLVs?

 > We are not allowing that level of granularity. A system that is
> going to support MP-TLVs should take care to operate correctly
> for ALL TLVs before advertising that it supports them.

 It seems these days we have more people in the LSR work-group that prefer to
write drafts
 than that prefer to write code. I fear a large amount of drafts about router
capabilities to
 advertise support for every bit, every TLV and every sub-TLV in LSPs. In the
end, every
 feature, every detail or option in a feature, will get its own router
capability.

 I'm happy nobody wants routers to react to advertised software capabilities.
But if routers don't react to info in a LSP, I don't think that info belongs in
the control-plane.
 It belongs in the management-plane.

 > We have been sending management information in the LSDB since
> we introduced the hostname TLV.

 That's a different thing, imho. It's a single exception. It's very useful to
identify LSPs and routers.
 I don't see other management information we should put in LSPs.

 Twenty-five years ago, you and me were the first people to implement support
for wide metrics.
 I came up with a strategy to migrate a running network.
 I introduced the "metric-style [wide|narrow]" command. That was supposed to be
a temporary thing.
 Just for use in the next 1-2 years, when every IS-IS network was migrating to
wide metrics.

 When I came back to work, in 2015, I saw that the Nokia SR-OS routers still
have narrow metrics as
 the default setting. I laughed. Now I am back at cisco, and I see that IOS-XR
also has narrow metrics
 as the default. I cried. FYI, both OSes had their FCS many years after 1997.
If I am not mistaken, JunOS has "metric-style both" as the default.
So on all these 3 OSes, you need to explicitly configure "metric-style wide".
Twenty five years after the migration .....

 I fear that the same will happen with your router-capability. The new
capability will have some
 value now. To help migrate to a network where all boxes support multipart
TLVs.
 But 1-2 years from now, all (major) IS-IS implementations will support
multipart TLVs for all TLVs.
 And then the new router-capability will have no use anymore. But routers all
around the world will
 still advertise it. I predict that 25 years from now, 23 years after all IS-IS
implementations started
 to support multi-part TLVs, routers will still advertise your capability.

 I don't like that.

 henk.