I had a solid install working this morning(2.08) on a RedHat 7.1 server
booting to ThinkNIC thin clients.

But I couldn't leave well enough alone, could I ;-)
- thought I would install the 2.09pre3 kit and use the new XFree86 v4.1
package.

Pulled my hair out for a bit when it didn't work, THEN read the post on this
list re: devfs. Since I am using a pre-complied binary for the ThinkNIC, I
thought I would leave it at that. Uninstalled 2.09pre3, but now I can't get
2.08 to work again!
I have done everything the same according to the docs, but this time it
won't work.

The error I get on the client is:

failed set default font path: "tcp/192.168.1.4:7001"
Fatal server serror:
could not open defualt font 'fixed'
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: dissabled for 5 minutes

On the server, I see(/var/log/messages):

nic1 Init:entering runlevel 2
nic1 Init:switching to runlevel 5
server: su(pam_unix): session opened for user nobody by (uid=0)
server: su(pam_unix): session closed for user nobody
server: su(pam_unix): session opened for user nobody by (uid=0)
server: su(pam_unix): session closed for user nobody
server: su(pam_unix): session opened for user nobody by (uid=0)
server: su(pam_unix): session closed for user nobody
server: su(pam_unix): session opened for user nobody by (uid=0)
server: su(pam_unix): session closed for user nobody
server: su(pam_unix): session opened for user nobody by (uid=0)
server: su(pam_unix): session closed for user nobody
server: su(pam_unix): session opened for user nobody by (uid=0)
server: su(pam_unix): session closed for user nobody
.
etc.
.
nic1 Init: Id "5" respawning too fast: dissabled for five minutes

During the RPMing of the packages, I did see one error in the ltsp_core:

chown,chmod gdm_init_default.tmpl: no such file or directory

Any tips appreciated

--
Erik Myllymaki