No, LOCAL_APPS = N in lts.conf

I turned off XFS in lts.conf, and X started up OK. I don't nescessarily need
XFS to work, so I'll leave it at that.
I would still like to know why I can't get  a console-only session though,
as I might need that in the near future.

And know for something completely different.

I have just done a manual upgrade to XFree86 4.01a. from the errata page. I
copied over libpam.so.0 also as suggested in
http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/nvidia.txt. but also had to copy over
libpam_misc.so.0.

X doesn't start at all. Screen stays blank. The server has similar errors to
below:

nic1 Init:entering runlevel 2
nic1 Init:switching to runlevel 5
server: su(pam_unix): session opened for user nobody by (uid=0)
server: su(pam_unix): session closed for user nobody

Then nothing.

> Do you, by chance, have LOCAL_APPS turned on ?

> >Yes, that was just a typo - long day ;-)
> >
> >Looks like it might be a permissions problem. I change the lts.conf file
> >RUNLEVEL=3
> >and on the client I get:
> >
> >setting lopback...
> >Building =XF86Config file
> >Current hostname: nic1
> >Building the start_ws script
> >Starting syslogd
> >INIT: Entering runlevel 2
> >INIT: Switching ot runlevel 3
> >/bin/sh: - -:bad option
> >/bin/sh: - -:bad option
> >/bin/sh: - -:bad option
> >/bin/sh: - -:bad option
> >/bin/sh: - -:bad option
> >/bin/sh: - -:bad option
> >/bin/sh: - -:bad option
> >/bin/sh: - -:bad option
> >id: unknown user name : 0
> >id: unknown user name : 0
> >id: unknown user name : 0
> >[: too many arguements
> >/bin/sh: - -:bad option
> >/bin/sh: - -:bad option
> >id: unknown user name : 0
> >[nic1 /]# /bin/sh: - -:bad option
> >INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: dissabled for 5 minutes
> >
> >Also, there are no files bing created in /tmp, when there were before
(and
> >quickly looking at the rc.local there should be at this point of the boot
> >process).
> >
> >weird.
> >
> >Any other help greatly appreciated.

> >server.