>> The error about the font path specifies the wrong port.  you showed
>> '7001', but it should
>> be '7100'.  Maybe that was a typing error when you typed it into your

Yes, that was just a typo - long day ;-)

Looks like it might be a permissions problem. I change the lts.conf file to
RUNLEVEL=3
and on the client I get:

setting lopback...
Building =XF86Config file
Current hostname: nic1
Building the start_ws script
Starting syslogd
INIT: Entering runlevel 2
INIT: Switching ot runlevel 3
/bin/sh: - -:bad option
/bin/sh: - -:bad option
/bin/sh: - -:bad option
/bin/sh: - -:bad option
/bin/sh: - -:bad option
/bin/sh: - -:bad option
/bin/sh: - -:bad option
/bin/sh: - -:bad option
id: unknown user name : 0
id: unknown user name : 0
id: unknown user name : 0
[: too many arguements
/bin/sh: - -:bad option
/bin/sh: - -:bad option
id: unknown user name : 0
[nic1 /]# /bin/sh: - -:bad option
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: dissabled for 5 minutes

Also, there are no files bing created in /tmp, when there were before (and
quickly looking at the rc.local there should be at this point of the boot
process).

weird.

Any other help greatly appreciated.

>> Also, if the client is looking for a font server, then you have selected
>> USE_XFS = Y in
>> the lts.conf file.  If you want to use a font server, then you have to
>> make sure you have
>> the font server enabled on the server to handle remote font requests.
>>  that is described in
>> the ltsp documentation.
>>
>> For simplicity, try changing USE_XFS = N, and it won't use the font
server.