Oliver,

Welcome to the Linux community!  And thank you for your detailed
description of your problem.  That makes it much easier to understand
where you are coming from.

Now, there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to do this.  The
main problem is that your networking needs to be straightened out
and then your DHCP configured properly.

First, if you want your clients on the same subnet as your DSL router,
then you do not need the two network cards.  But since you already
have two network cards, you should stick with this setup.  It's better
to keep the client traffic separate from the internet traffic.

Your two network cards (in the server) should be on different
subnets.  Keep whatever DSL network settings are already working and
change the subnet with the diskless clients to something else.  Let's
call the DSL subnet 192.168.1/24 and the clients' subnet
192.168.0/24.  The /24 means a 24-bit netmask (255.255.255.0), which
is the most common for local networks with 192.168.x address spaces.
Now, get your Realtek card set up for the DSL subnet.  You could use
192.168.1.1/24 and that should get you working.  Make sure your
server (not running DHCP yet) can use this interface and establish
internet connectivity.

Now, your IBM NIC should be set up for the 192.168.0 network as
192.168.0.254/24.  Now bring up this interface and run the command

        netstat -rn

and look at the output.  It should look something like this:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window
irtt Iface
192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0
0 eth1
192.168.0.254   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0
0 eth0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0
0 eth1
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0
0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0
0 lo
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.254   0.0.0.0         UG        0 0
0 eth1

The identities of eth1 and eth0 may be reversed.  That's okay.  And
the last line for the default route should contain the IP address of
your DSL router where I've placed 192.168.1.254.

Now, your networking is setup and you need to configure DHCP to work
properly in your environment.  You need to set it up with a 'subnet'
section for each subnet or it won't start.  Do not declare a 'range'
or it will attempt to handle the IPs dynamically.  You want to do
something like this:

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option routers 192.168.0.254;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        group {
                filename "/lts/vmlinuz.rtl8139";
                use-host-decl-names on;
                host ws001 {
                        hardware ethernet 00:80:C8:D9:53:E4;
                        fixed-address 192.168.0.1;
                        }
                host ws002 {
                        hardware ethernet 00:80:C8:D9:53:E5;
                        fixed-address 192.168.0.2;
                        }
                host ws003 {
                        hardware ethernet 00:80:C8:D9:53:E6;
                        fixed-address 192.168.0.3;
                        }
        }
}

Now, on starting DHCP.  You don't want to just type 'dhcpd start'.  I
suspect that this is invoking the daemon directly because it's in your
PATH.  If you type

        which -a dhcpd

you will probably be shown the path to the daemon itself:

        /usr/sbin/dhcpd

The scripts in /etc/init.d/, which are named for the services they
manage, do far more than simply call the daemon.  You should always
start and stop services using these provided scripts.  So, now to
start dhcp, run

        /etc/init.d/dhcpd start

If it doesn't start properly, send us your /etc/dhcpd.conf file and
the output of 'netstat -rn'.

Jason

> Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:29:23 +0100
> From: Oliver Krehan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Hi all,
>
> first I have to say, that I am using Linux now for only two months.
Because
> of this, I am not very good in explaining problems to other and
better
> users. I hope, I can give you a good explanation.
>
> I have a problem using LTSP in combination with DSL.
> First I set up LTSP_2.08 with all the standard parameters in the
> config-files and everything worked fine.
> The installation consists of a server with a IBM Fast Ethernet LAN
Card and
> 3 clients, all equipped with Realtek 8139-chipsets.
>
> Then I have installed another LAN card for the DSL, a Realtek 8029.
The NIC
> is configured properly and the DSL is running fine. The only problem
is
> using both together.
>
> Because DHCP is running, the DSL can not be initialized and vice
versa.
> When I boot up my RedHat Linux 7.0 without DHCP and with no clients
> attached and then start the DHCP, there is an error message saying,
that
> both adapters use the same subnet. The IP-address of the IBM NIC is
> 192.168.0.254 and the one of the Realtke is 192.168.0.10.
> Then I changed the IP from the Realtek to 192.168.1.1. That should
also
> change the subnet. But still it doesn't work.
> There is also a strange thing which is invoked by how I am starting
DHCP.
> If I start it by just typing in "dhcpd start" then the error message
> appears and it doesn't start at all. If I start it by changing the
> directory to /etc/init.d and typing "./dhcpd start" then DHCP is
started
> with no error at all.
>
> Now I have the problem that neither LTSP nor DSL is running. I am
sure,
> LTSP will run if I remove the other NIC.
> Can anybody help me configuring my dhcpd.conf-file for using both
NICs on