I am and have been on the lookout for these 'best/low cost' boxes myself for
the past six months.  Here's what I've found.

There are several vendors on Ebay that can deliver barebone AMD based
machines.  They seem like overkill (700mhz+) and I just don't get a warm
fuzzy knowing they are using the cheapest thing they can get their hands on.
You can get a box for just under $200.  Add delivery charges (which also
seem high).

ThinkNIC.  I haven't tried one but people here on this list claim the video
is less than stellar.

I ran across a new (to me) called BICBox.  They're selling a 733mhz Celeron,
128MB, CD, Intel MB using the 815 chipset.  NIC on-board, 3.5x12x15.  Boots
from CD.  Comes with Win98 and Linux.   Has (I think) a 32MB Flash drive.
No floppy.

If you open the case it void the warranty, ugh.  Might be something worth
looking into.  Sells for $299.  http://www.bicbox.com

Anyone else?

Tony Holden
EDMS/AIX Sys Admin