On 28-Nov-01 Prolinux wrote:
> I need your help solving netscape run away on ltsp
> terminals, it runs away so often without freeing cpu.
> I am using Pentium 75 with 16Mb and 500Mb HD as
> terminals and I would like to either replace netscape
> with konqueror, mozilla or galeon, but with java
> support, or use netscape as a local application (if my
> current hardware could support it). Any suggestion?

IMO you can't plug enough RAM into the motherboard of a Pentium 75 to
use Netscape as a local application. AFAIK the capacity of the
harddisk doesn't matter in this issue. In spite of what its name
suggests a local application is stored in RAM, not on the harddisc.

Konqueror seems like a good alternative for Netscape to me. Otherwise
there's also Opera for Linux.

> I am using mandrake 8.1 and made some attempts to
> download different versions of jre (java runtime
> environment) to setup either konqueror or mozilla to
> use java plugins but without success, when I load web
> pages that need java support they come incomplete, but
> netscape works fine on them.

Did you install the JRE *after* Konqueror and Mozilla? Because if you
did, you probably have to adjust the setup of those browsers to let
them know that, in contrast to their original installation, there is a
JRE available now.

> Could someone try
> latinchat.com and tell me if chatting is posible with
> a different browser than netscape?

I've tried latinchat.com with Opera on a SuSE 7.0 box. The pages to
select an area and a chatroom seem to contain Java applets and worked
fine. I didn't really chat though, because their system wouldn't let
me without applying for a user ID.

However, the chatroom in any Yahoo! Group is definitely a Java applet
and that runs smoothly on the same box!