On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Rick Younie wrote:

> I had to do a
> mknod -m 0666 /dev/fd0 b 2 0
> I did this from the root console on tty1 you get with
> 1:5:respawn:/bin/startsess tty1 /bin/bash --login
> (very handy, that) but it should go in rc.mfloppy.

Hi Rick,

that's o.k., but chmod 666 /dev/fd0 should do it.

I thought it would be better to let devfsd do the work. As I wrote,
my ltsp-setup is somehow modified and here we go again with the
configuration-files of devfsd:

File 1
---------------- snip ---------------------------------------------------
# /etc/devfsd.conf

REGISTER        .*              MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER      .*              RMOLDCOMPAT
REGISTER     floppy/.*          PERMISSIONS root.root rw-rw-rw-

LOOKUP          .*              MODLOAD
---------------- snap ---------------------------------------------------

File 2
---------------- snip ---------------------------------------------------
# /etc/modules.devfs

# All HDDs
# probeall  /dev/discs          scsi-hosts sd_mod ide-probe-mod ide-disk DAC960
# alias     /dev/discs/*                /dev/discs
# All CD-ROMs
# probeall  /dev/cdroms         scsi-hosts sr_mod ide-probe-mod ide-cd cdrom
# alias     /dev/cdroms/*               /dev/cdroms
# All tapes
# probeall  /dev/tapes          scsi-hosts st ide-probe-mod ide-tape
# alias     /dev/tapes/*                /dev/tapes
# All SCSI devices
# probeall  /dev/scsi           scsi-hosts sd_mod sr_mod st sg
# All IDE devices
# probeall  /dev/ide            ide-probe-mod ide-disk ide-cd ide-tape ide-floppy
# IDE CD-ROMs
# alias     /dev/ide/*/cd               ide-cd
# SCSI HDDs
# probeall  /dev/sd             scsi-hosts sd_mod
# alias     /dev/sd*            /dev/sd
# SCSI CD-ROMs
# probeall  /dev/sr             scsi-hosts sr_mod
# alias     /dev/sr*            /dev/sr
# alias     /dev/scsi/*/cd      sr_mod
# SCSI tapes
# probeall  /dev/st             scsi-hosts st
# alias     /dev/st*            /dev/st
# alias     /dev/nst*           /dev/st
# SCSI generic
# probeall  /dev/sg             scsi-hosts sg
# alias     /dev/sg*            /dev/sg
# alias     /dev/scsi/*/generic /dev/sg

# Floppies
alias     /dev/floppy           floppy
alias     /dev/fd*              floppy

# RAMDISCs
alias     /dev/rd               rd
alias     /dev/ram*             rd
# Loop devices
# alias     /dev/loop*          loop
# Meta devices
# alias     /dev/md*            gen-md

# Parallel port printers
alias     /dev/printers*        lp
alias     /dev/lp*              /dev/printers

# Soundcard
alias     /dev/audio            /dev/sound
alias     /dev/mixer            /dev/sound
alias     /dev/dsp              /dev/sound
alias     /dev/dspW             /dev/sound
alias     /dev/midi             /dev/sound

# Joysticks
# alias     /dev/js*            /dev/joysticks

# Serial ports
alias     /dev/tts*             serial
alias     /dev/ttyS*            /dev/tts
alias     /dev/cua*             /dev/tts

# Input devices
# alias     /dev/input/mouse*   mousedev

# Miscellaneous devices
# alias     /dev/misc/atibm     atixlmouse
# alias     /dev/misc/inportbm  msbusmouse
# alias     /dev/misc/logibm    busmouse
alias     /dev/misc/rtc         rtc
alias     /dev/rtc              /dev/misc/rtc

# PPP devices
# alias     /dev/ppp*           ppp_generic

# Video capture devices
# alias     /dev/video*         /dev/v4l
# alias     /dev/vbi*           /dev/v4l

include /etc/modules.conf

Having configured devfsd like this, a workstation with it's own XF86Config
gets a serial mouse working due to the settings in this file; explicitly
setting the mouse-device in lts.conf is not necessary.
All possible floppy-devices get write-access for a user logged in via
X-Window. So with mtools all actions should be possible.

Hope it works for you.

Wolfgang