Don and others who have offered information and advice,

I was eventually able to build a kernel by #defining nsprintf to printk.
This kernel ended up being significantly smaller than the bootable image
included in ltsp 3.0. The problem turned out to be that I needed to do a
"make modules_install". This built the modules in "/lib/modules/2.4.9/...".
I needed to make a copy of the modules using the ltsp path that the boot
code looks for ("...-ltsp-5"). I next ran the "buildk" script. This resulted
in a kernel image of approximately the same size as the standard ltsp
kernel.

Unfortunately, something seems to have gotten broken. When I boot, I do not
get a login prompt. The screen is all gray and the cursor works but no login
prompt. I have been attempting to debug it with no success. It seems to be a
"kdm" problem of some sort but I have no idea what the problem is or how to
fix it.

I restored the original kernel but it still will not boot in X windows. I
can get a bash prompt (level 3) or telnet (level 4). When I try to boot into
level 5, it just displays the gray screen with the X cursor but nothing else
happens. I can not find any files that were obviously damaged.  The system
was running normally until I performed the "make modules_install" and
"buildk". That was the last time that it worked. I have RH 7.2 on the
server, with most of the RedHat upgrades that have been released. This
includes kde 2.2.2 and koffice 1.1.1 but the original kernel that was
included in RH7.2 (2.4.7-10).

There doesn't seem to be a good way to debug from the client. On the server,
it's possible to select "alt/ctrl/F1" in order to get a virtual terminal and
login. Then the logs and other things can be examined. On the client, it is
only possible to get a bash shell OR boot to X. There isn't a way to examine
any logs if the system boots to level 4 or 5.

Does anyone know what is wrong or have any information that will help to get
the system working again.

tia,
Rob