On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, G. Major wrote:

> Unfortunately, something seems to have gotten broken. When I boot, I do not
> get a login prompt. The screen is all gray and the cursor works but no login
> prompt. I have been attempting to debug it with no success. It seems to be a
> "kdm" problem of some sort but I have no idea what the problem is or how to
> fix it.

Curiously, this is the behaviour that I was after for my particular
application.  However, I looked through the notes I sent you and I didn't
send you the specifics for shutting off the xdm query, so I don't think
the error is there.

What I would do is restart xdm on the server machine, reboot your client,
then check the X11 logs on the server.  Be sure the line to start the
xserver has -query <xdmserver> as an argument.  In rc.local there should
be a line that looks like:

    echo "/usr/X11R6/bin/${XBINARY} ${ACC_CTRL} -query ${XDM_SERVER}"
>/tmp/start_ws

Hope this helps.

-don